These easy to make delicious bars are sugar-free, dairy-free, peanut-free, and soy-free, sure to please almost anyone with allergies or any picky eater. Although they taste like dessert, because they're healthy you can eat them as a guilt-free snack throughout the day or even for breakfast. No sugar is needed with the dates providing sweetness. Healthy fat and protein comes from the almonds, and strawberries contribute Vitamin C, fiber, and antioxidants. We've provided a detailed recipe below with pictures to aid you along the way. Try them out; we promise you won't be disappointed!
Recipe adapted from: www.wholeliving.com
- 1 and 1/2 cups pitted dates
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 2 tbs rolled oats*
- 1 handful of flour*
- 1 cup strawberries, thinly sliced
*Note - You can use certified gluten-free oats and a gluten-free flour to make this recipe gluten-free as well.
- In a food processor blend the dates, almonds, and oats together until combined.
|Make sure to use rolled oats (not quick oats) and raw almonds (not salted or roasted)|
|Dates, almonds, and oats coming together in the food processor|
|The final product consistency. The mixture should stick together when squeezed.|
- Spread a small handful of flour in a bread pan so the bars are easier to get out later.
- Spread the date mixture out in a bread pan. Press it down so it's flat in the pan and evenly distributed.
- Remove the stems from your strawberries.
- Mash up 1/2 cup strawberries in a bowl.
- Spread this over the date/nut mix in the pan.
- Slice the remaining 1/2 cup of strawberries.
- Place the slices on top of the mashed strawberries in the pan.
|The entire pan should be covered with slices.|
- Put the whole pan in the refrigerator and allow to chill. After about an hour take out the pan and slice into rectangular bars. Before placing the sliced bars on a plate, you may want to sprinkle some flour on it to make pick up easier. The dates make the bars a little sticky!
|You can leave the bars this size or...|
|...cut them smaller.|
For more healthy snack ideas check out Whole Living's Snacks